Kidney Bean Vegetable Soup
Thick and hearty, with a deep rich taste, this fat-free vegetarian soup is ready in under 30 minutes. Don’t drain the canned tomatoes or beans; the liquid becomes part of the flavorful stock.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small stalk celery, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added kidney beans
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a stockpot over medium heat. Add ¼ cup of the vegetable broth, onion, and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add another ¼ cup broth, carrot, celery, sweet potato, and tomatoes with juice and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cilantro, and serve immediately.