This is an old-time tzimmes recipe using beef or vegetable kishka, which makes this dish sweet and savory. If making this dish for Passover, make sure to buy kosher-for-Passover kishka.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1 lb.) beef kishka
- Place the carrots and sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. Remove from pot and drain. Set aside
- Melt the margarine in the pot over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, brown sugar, and salt. Stir to mix. The sweet potatoes will begin to fall apart. Let the mixture simmer for 3 minutes, uncovered, for any excess water to cook off and for the sugar to dissolve.
- Crumble the kishka into the pot and mix everything together. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat. Serve hot.