Korean Hot Pot
This rich soup has a little bit of heat and a lot of subtle earthiness. It’s perfect for a quick meal on a weeknight.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz. silken tofu, sliced
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Korean chili paste
- 1 small serrano pepper, sliced
- 1 medium scallion (green part only), roughly chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot and onion and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the mushrooms. Let them sweat until they’ve released their water and have shrunk by half.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a light boil. Add tofu, soy sauce, and chili paste. Simmer for 10 minutes.