Lady fingers are also of the main ingredients of tiramisu and charlottes, but they’re also wonderful cookies on their own. You may add 1 teaspoon lemon zest if you like.
Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 24 cookies
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup cake flour
- ⅛ tsp. cream of tartar
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the yolks and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar on high speed 5 minutes. Mixture will be thick and pale, and will form ribbons when beater is lifted. Blend in vanilla.
- Sift flour over egg mixture. Do not fold in.
- Whip egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; whip to soft peaks. Gradually add 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Fold egg whites and flour into yolks carefully; be sure not to deflate batter. Transfer to a pastry bag and, with bag at a 45° angle to baking sheet, pipe 3" long fingers.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over lady fingers. Bake 8–10 minutes, or until cakes are firm. Cool 5 minutes; remove from paper while still warm.