Lamb Curry with Tomatoes and Spinach
Simple yet substantial, this curry of lamb and vegetables in a savory sauce comes together in mere minutes. If you like spice, add a minced hot pepper or a pinch of ground cayenne at the end of cooking. Serve over brown or white basmati rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean boneless lamb, sliced thinly
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. salt-free tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. salt-free curry powder
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup low-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and curry powder.
- Add the tomatoes with juice, spinach, broth, and wine and stir well to combine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring, until spinach has wilted and lamb has cooked through, about 3–4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with black pepper. Serve immediately.