Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
These fragrant meatballs make a nice change of pace from traditional beef, and taste great spooned over cooked couscous, pasta, or rice. Serve with green salad or veggies for a complete meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb
- ¼ cup chopped pine nuts
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cans (8 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. salt-free tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- Place the ground lamb, pine nuts, onion, garlic, egg white, bread crumbs, parsley, mint, and pepper into a mixing bowl. Mix together using your hands and form into 2" oval meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides, roughly 3–5 minutes. Briefly remove from heat.
- Place the tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, and seasonings into a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Pour mixture over the meatballs and gently stir.
- Return sauté pan to heat. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 15–20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.