Lamb Meatballs with Lingonberries
Appetizers don’t get much more Nordic than tender lamb meatballs served with lingonberry jam!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 55 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tsp. rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2⁄3 cup lingonberry jam
- In a medium bowl, pour milk over oats and let sit at room temperature about 15 minutes, or until oats have absorbed milk.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground lamb, oatmeal, sautéed onion and garlic, egg, mushrooms, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape lamb mixture into cocktail-sized meatballs. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil and butter. Working in batches, fry meatballs for 10 minutes, shaking the pan frequently to rotate meatballs and ensure even browning. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with lingonberry jam.