Lamb Shanks with Chickpeas and Carrots
This is a French bistro and comfort meal that most people find delicious on a cool evening.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 4 lamb shanks (8 oz. each), well-trimmed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cans (13 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Sprinkle the lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Brown shanks 2 minutes per side.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrot. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, chicken broth, bay leaves, and parsley.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour. Add chickpeas and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.