Lamb Stew with Olives and Peppers
Wonderfully rich and satisfying, this stew gains interesting character from the addition of kalamata olives. Make sure to get the pits out!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 lb. lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix together lamb, 1⁄4 cup oil, flour, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes to brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- In a pot, heat the remaining olive oil on medium-high and add the garlic, onion, carrot, and pepper. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the lamb, olives, broth, wine, and rosemary. Simmer gently, partially covered, for about 1 1⁄2 hours or until the meat is tender. Skim off excess fat and serve.