At the end of a long day, few things are better than sweet stuffed onions served with a salad.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large Vidalia onions, peeled
- ¾ lb. ground lamb
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ⅓ cup diced dried apricots
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut off the top quarter of each onion. Scoop out the onion cores. Chop the onion cores and add to the ground lamb, dried apricots, allspice, dill, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper, and egg; mix well.
- Fill the onion halves with the meat mixture. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the meat.
- Add the oil to a deep 3½-quart nonstick skillet or electric skillet and bring to temperature. Add the onions to the pan, meat-side down, and sauté until browned. Turn the onions so that the meat side is up. Add the remaining lemon juice and enough water to come up to just to the top of the onions. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the onion is soft and the meat is cooked through.