Large-Batch Beef Stock
Always thoroughly cool the stock and remove solidified fat from the top before using or freezing.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 12 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 lbs. bone-in beef shank
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- ½ lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1½ gallons filtered water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 15 peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place oil, beef, and vegetables in a large roasting pan; bake for 30–45 minutes, until well browned.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a large stockpot with water. Gently scrape the bottom of the roasting pan to loosen all residue (fond) and add it to the stockpot. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for 8–10 hours.
- Add herbs and peppercorns; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Strain and discard solids. Cool by submerging the pot in an ice-water bath. Place in freezer-safe containers and store in the freezer until ready to use.