Large-Batch Chicken Stock
You can use fresh bay leaves instead of dry in this recipe, but remember to double the quantity to get the same concentrated flavor of dry herbs.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 7 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 lbs. skinless, bone-in chicken
- 1½ gallons filtered water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 15 peppercorns
- Add chicken, vegetables, and water to a large stockpot over medium heat; bring to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 hours.
- Add herbs and peppercorns; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Strain and discard solids. Cool by submerging the pot in an ice-water bath. Remove all chicken fat that solidifies at the surface before using or freezing. Place in freezer-safe containers and store in freezer until ready to use.