Large-Batch Meaty Taco Sauce
Taco sauce isn’t just for tacos. It can also be the foundation for a Mexican chili or a dip for chips.
Makes: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 10 lbs. ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 quarts canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup salt-free taco seasoning
- 4 drops hot sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. coarse-ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, sauté ground beef, garlic, and onions in olive oil until meat is browned. Drain excess fat in a colander. Return to stockpot.
- Wearing rubber gloves, remove stem and blossom ends of jalapeño peppers. Chop finely.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Ladle into sterilized freezer-safe containers, leaving 1 inch headspace. Use within 6 months.