Large-Batch Taco Sauce
This sauce is also perfect for making enchiladas.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 16 cups coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, onions, vinegar, and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour.
- Cool sauce, then puree in a blender for about 1 minute. Stir in sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 25 minutes or until thick enough to coat a spoon. Stir in cilantro.
- Cool and pour into a sealable container. Sauce can be kept refrigerated for up to a week.