A long-simmered Bolognese sauce gives this this classic Italian dish irresistible flavor. The assembled lasagna also freezes well, so consider doubling the recipe and making one for now and one for later.
Serves: 12Prep: 55 minutesCook: 3 hours 35 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 5 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 can (15 oz.) Kroger Brand Crushed Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken or beef broth
- Ground Pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- To make Bolognese sauce, heat olive oil in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta, onion, carrot and celery. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add beef and pork to pan. Break meat into small pieces. Cook until browned and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Add white wine, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan. Allow wine to come to boil.
- Stir in 1 cup milk; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; let reduce until almost dry.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook at least 2 hours, until flavors are well developed. If sauce look dry during this time, add about ½ cup water as needed and continue cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If making sauce ahead, cool and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, to make béchamel, melt 4 tablespoons butter in 3-quart or larger saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Slowly add remaining 4 cups milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in nutmeg. Season to taste with salt. If making ahead, cool and store refrigerated with plastic wrap pressed against surface.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9”x13” baking dish.
- If sauces are refrigerated, reheat over low heat until just warm. Add additional water or broth to Bolognese sauce if needed.
- In bottom of prepared pan, spread small amount (about ¼ cup) béchamel sauce.
- Arrange layer of lasagna noodles. Top with about ¼ of the Bolognese sauce, ⅓ of the béchamel and about ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Top with another layer pasta, remaining Bolognese sauce and remaining Parmesan. (Prepared lasagna can be frozen up to 2 months.)
- Place pan on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Refrigerate leftovers.