Lasagna Frutti di Mare
This classic recipe is filled with the fruits of the sea—scallops, crabmeat, shrimp, lobster—and is topped with a homemade béchamel sauce.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup clam broth
- 1⁄2 cup Marsala wine
- 1⁄8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground white pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb. scallops
- 1⁄2 lb. cooked Dungeness crabmeat
- 1 lb. cooked large bay shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄4 lb. cooked lobster meat
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, melt 1⁄2 cup butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the clam broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, half-and-half or cream, and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer until the sauce is quite thick. Season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper and remove from the heat. Let cool.
- In a skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and continue cooking until the liquid evaporates. Add the scallops and cook until they just begin to firm. Toss in the crabmeat, shrimp, and lobster meat. Season with remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper. Stir in half of béchamel sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in a 10-by-12-inch lasagna pan. Top with half of the seafood-béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with one-third of the Jack and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with another 4 noodles, and top with the remaining seafood mixture and one-third of the cheeses. Add the remaining 4 noodles, and top with the remaining béchamel and cheeses.
- Bake until set with the top lightly browned and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.