Latin-Style Chicken with Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
Make this popular Latin-American dish in one pot; a Dutch oven works well for this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 lbs. chicken pieces; bone-in, skin-on
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 tsp. saffron threads
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cumin.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil; add chicken and brown all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons of fat from Dutch oven. Return to heat and add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until soft and onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice; cook, stirring to coat with oil. Add garlic and the remaining teaspoon of salt; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, peas, and saffron; bring to a boil over high heat. Scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low; return chicken pieces and juices to pan, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.