Latkes with Applesauce
These crispy potato pancakes traditionally served at Hanukkah are also delicious in a brunch tapas spread, along with Florentine bagels.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Peel the potatoes and grate them. Put the grated potatoes in a bowl and fill with water to rinse. Beat the egg in another bowl and add the onion, salt, and pepper to it.
- Squeeze the water out of the shredded potatoes in handfuls and put them in the bowl with the egg. Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes, then mix everything together.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high and scoop latkes into it. Flatten the latkes and cook until brown and crisp on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with applesauce and sour cream.