Lattice-Top Cherry Pie
If fresh cherries are available, feel free to use them here.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 pie shell, unbaked (9")
- 1 pie crust, unbaked (10"), cut into 12 strips (1")
- 20 oz. frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Place 1 unbaked piecrust in a 9" pie plate.
- With a fine-mesh strainer, drain the cherries. Tip cherries into a large bowl. Pour the juice into a measuring cup and add enough water to equal ½ cup of liquid.
- In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cherry juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Stir and cook about 2 minutes, or until mixture begins to boil. Lower heat and stir until it thickens, about 3 minutes. Add butter, salt, lemon juice, and almond extract and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix well and then fold in the cherries. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour into the pie shell and top with the pastry strips. Lay out 5 strips of pie dough on top of the filling about ½" apart. Starting ½" from the edge of the pie, fold back every other strip and lay down 1 strip of pastry. Fold the pastry back down and fold back the other pieces. Lay down a second strip about ½" from the first strip. Repeat this process until all the strips are used. Trim the dough to 1" of the pans edge. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust. Crimp the dough using your fingers or a fork. Brush the lattice and crust with beaten egg.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly in the center and the lattice is golden brown. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.