Lavender Honey Ice Cream
Rich and creamy with floral notes, this ice cream soothes the senses and indulges the taste buds.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1¼ cups honey
- 3 Tbsp. lavender buds (dried or fresh)
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, honey, lavender buds, sugar, and salt. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, strain milk mixture into a large measuring cup. Discard used buds and pour milk mixture back into pan. Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla extract; stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.