Layered Chocolate Scones
You don’t need to go through the hassle of dealing with yeast dough to get layers of crumbly, crowd-pleasing pastry crust.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces, divided
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 7 tablespoons Kroger Brand Heavy Whipping Cream, divided
- Coarse sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In microwave-safe bowl, combine 2 tablespoons butter and dark chocolate. Microwave on high in 30-second increments until melted. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar; stir to form spread.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture looks like crumbs. Stir in egg and 6 tablespoons cream until dough just comes together. Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead a few times.
- Roll dough out to 8”x12” rectangle. Spread with chocolate mixture. Fold into thirds. Pat into a roughly 8” circle. Cut into 8 wedges; place on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with course sugar, if desired.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.