This flan recipe is very indulgent and rich. The richness comes from the 12 egg yolks used to make the custard.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour caramel into an 8-inch round cake pan. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture through a mesh strainer over cooled caramel.
- Place cake pan into a deep sided roasting pan and fill the pan with enough warm water to reach half way up the side of the cake pan. Carefully place in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the custard is firm around the edges but still a little jiggly in the center. Remove the custard from the water bath and cool to room temperature.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan. Turn the flan out onto a serving dish, and spoon out any remaining caramel. Chill for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.