Leek Potato Cakes
With a dollop of crème fraîche, sour cream, or applesauce, these crisp disks are a texturally pleasing and comforting component of a complete meal. These are excellent with a small salad and a wedge of soft, ripened cheese such as Camembert.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks, white part only
- 2 cups finely grated peeled potatoes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Combine leeks, potatoes, eggs, flour, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl; mix well. Form into 8 pancakes (3").
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat until a piece of leek sizzles when added. Transfer 4 of the pancakes into the pan and cook gently without moving them until a crisp brown crust develops, about 5 minutes. Turn and brown the other side; drain on paper towels and repeat with remaining cakes.