Leek and Potato Soup
This soup never goes out of style. It satisfies every time the cold weather returns.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks, ends trimmed, thoroughly cleaned, cut lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 2½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat and heat for 30 seconds. Add the leeks, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook for 10–15 minutes or until the leeks soften.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. If the mixture gets dry or gluey, add some water or stock.
- Add the stock and the increase heat to medium-high. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook 30–40 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, carefully purée the soup until it is smooth. Add the cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot and topped with chives.