Left Bank’s Chocolate Fondant
This is a signature Parisian dessert. Try it with coffee ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus 2 Tbsp. at room temperature
- 8 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate and 1 cup butter in small saucepan over low heat, stirring till smooth. Pour into large bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. In another large bowl, whip eggs yolks and sugar together until pale yellow. Fold in flour into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Brush bottoms and sides of eight 4-ounce ramekins with 2 tablespoons butter. Dust with cocoa powder. Spoon batter into ramekins.
- Place ramekins on sheet pan and bake at 400° till puffed and set on top, about 15 minutes. Dust the tops with powdered sugar and serve immediately.