Delicate and tangy lemon bars are a lunch-box and picnic favorite. Try substituting lime juice for half of the lemon juice for a twist on an old classic. Serve these with brownies for a great flavor combination.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups plus 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar, divided
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Combine 2 cups flour with 1 cup confectioners' sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into the dry mixture with 2 knives or a pastry cutter to make a crumbly mixture. Pat this into the bottom of the buttered pan. Bake crust for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine eggs, granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest with a whisk in a bowl and pour the mixture over the baked crust.
- Bake filling and crust for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely, cut into 16 squares, and dust with remaining confectioners' sugar.