Makes: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until softened, about 30 seconds. Add the sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and baking soda, and beat until combined. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Add the flour and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each dough half into a log 8 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Place the logs on an ungreased baking sheet a few inches apart from each other.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on the baking sheet or a wire rack for 1 hour. Turn off the oven while the cookies cool.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut each roll crosswise into slices about 1⁄2 inch thick. Arrange the slices about 4 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip the slices over and bake for 8 more minutes, or until the cookies are crisp and lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.