Lemon Chicken and Asparagus
I love fresh asparagus in the spring – it gives a bright pop of green to any dish. With the help of some lemons, these chicken thighs go from dull to delicious, especially when you add the honey butter sauce over the top (cue yumminess!). As an added perk, this one-skillet meal really helps save time feeding the family.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stir together the olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, lemon pepper and basil in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to coat the chicken in the mixture, covering both sides of each piece.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter at medium-high heat in an oven-safe skillet. Place the chicken pieces skin side-down and sear each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, add the asparagus and stir. Immediately add the chicken pieces on top of the asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the internal chicken temperature reads 175°F on a meat thermometer.
- Prepare the sauce in a small saucepan while the chicken is cooking. Heat the remaining tablespoon of butter very gently, then add the juice of ½ lemon and the honey. Quickly transfer to a serving dish to be poured over the cooked chicken.