Lemon Crisp Cookies
Serve these light, delicately flavored cookies with tea for a late-afternoon snack.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 12 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream the granulated sugar into the butter until thoroughly blended. Blend in the lemon juice. Beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, add the baking soda and salt to the flour and stir until well blended.
- Using an electric mixture set at low speed, gradually add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture until it is just blended into a soft dough. Drop a heaping teaspoon of dough onto the baking sheet and press with the bottom of a glass to form a circle. Continue with the remaining dough, placing the cookies about 1 1⁄2 inches apart (about 15 cookies to a baking sheet).
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to overcook. Dust the cookies with powdered sugar while still warm. Let cool for 2 minutes and then remove from the baking sheet.