Lemon Crunch Cake
This elegant cake is easy to make, and it serves a crowd. Look for different types of nut brittle to vary the recipe.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) lemon cake mix
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cans (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 oz.) peanut brittle, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray a 10" tube pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, buttermilk, water, melted butter, lemon extract, eggs, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat until combined. Then beat 3 minutes at medium speed; pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In medium bowl, combine frosting with lemon juice and confectioner's sugar; beat until fluffy. Remove cake from pan and cut horizontally into four layers.
- Reassemble cake, using frosting, sprinkling each layer with some of the crushed brittle. Cover and let stand for 3–4 hours before serving.