Lemon Curd Cookies
A crisp shortbread oatmeal cookie is topped with a creamy lemon curd. These are special cookies for a special occasion.
Makes: 72Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- In large bowl, beat 2⁄3 cup butter with 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add egg and lemon zest; beat well. Add baking soda, salt, flour, cornstarch, and oatmeal.
- Form mixture into two rolls about 1 1⁄2 inch in diameter and wrap in waxed paper; chill at least 2 hours until firm.
- For lemon filling, in small saucepan, combine egg yolks with remaining sugar and lemon juice; cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon butter and sour cream. Cool for 15 minutes, then chill in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookie dough 1⁄8 inch thick and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes until the edges are beginning to brown. Cool on wire racks, then spoon lemon curd onto the center of each cookie. Store in refrigerator.