Lemon Macaroon Tart
With the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors, this dairy- and grain-free tart is sure to impress friends and family.
Serves: 8Prep: 1 hour 50 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (5 oz.) Kroger Brand Flaked Unsweetened Coconut
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 6 tablespoons firm coconut oil
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 10” tart pan with removeable bottom.
- Whip together 2 egg whites until fluffy. Add salt. Slowly incorporate ¼ cup sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut.
- Press coconut mixture into prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining 1 cup sugar and arrowroot starch. Stir constantly until mixture comes to boil.
- Whisk together 2 whole eggs and remaining 2 egg yolks. Add a few tablespoons hot juice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue slowly adding juice mixture to eggs, stirring constantly, until about half the juice has been added.
- Add egg mixture to saucepan with remaining juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches at least 165°F and is thickened.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in coconut oil.
- Pour lemon curd into coconut crust. Tip: For a smoother tart filling, strain curd mixture through fine mesh sieve into tart crust.
- Refrigerate at least 90 minutes to set. Serve topped with berries.
- Refrigerate leftovers.