Lemon Pistachio Swirls
These lemony cookies are light and refreshing with the richness of pistachios. Poppy seed filling, available at baking supply houses and some grocers, can be substituted for the pistachio filling.
Makes: 60 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 10 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 60 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup plus ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks, divided
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Cream butter and ⅔ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add 2 egg yolks and vanilla. Whisk lemon zest, salt, and flour together; blend into creamed mixture. Chill 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place pistachios and remaining sugar in a food processor; process with on/off pulses until well ground. Add 1 egg yolk and water; process to a smooth paste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roll dough into a rectangle on a floured surface. Spread with pistachio mixture; roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap tightly in wax paper; chill at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice cookies ¼" thick; arrange on baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.