Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Bursting with citrus flavor, these muffins are a delightful morning treat. For an extra sweet bite, sprinkle them with coarse sugar!
Serves: 12Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Coarse sugar, for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare standard muffin tin with paper liners or grease with butter.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream together butter, lemon zest and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon extract.
- In 3 parts, fold flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with milk in 2 parts. Stir until just combined.
- Evenly divide mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Cool slightly and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.