Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are your favorite citrus muffin—in pancake form! For the brightest flavor, use the juice and zest of 1 fresh lemon as the recipe describes, but 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract can be substituted in a pinch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- Grated zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Measure flours, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds, and lemon zest into a medium mixing bowl and whisk together. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or medium skillet over medium-low to low heat. Ladle roughly 1⁄4 cup batter onto the hot pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and the bottom is golden brown, roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook 2–3 minutes more, then remove pancake from heat. If pancakes brown too quickly, lower heat to low.
- Repeat cooking process with remaining batter. Serve pancakes warm with powdered sugar.