Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
These muffins make a delectable addition to a brunch buffet, afternoon tea, or a breakfast on the go. They freeze very well, so you can make them in advance and simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coarse sanding sugar or raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine sugar, cream cheese, oil, and butter. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and beat 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time, beating 2 minutes after each addition, then stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk and lemon juice.
- Add the flour mixture to the cream cheese mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups and top each muffin with coarse sugar.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when gently pressed in the center. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.