Lemon Pound Cake
Every Southern cook has a great pound cake recipe in his or her repertoire.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- In a large mixing bowl, blend butter and sugar with a hand mixer until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to butter-sugar mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together baking powder, flour, and salt.
- Add 1⁄2 of the flour mixture to the butter and eggs and beat on medium speed until blended. Slowly add the buttermilk and vanilla and mix well. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat well. Batter should be thick and perfectly smooth.
- Pour pound cake batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn onto a serving plate.
- Whisk together confectioners’ sugar with zest and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Pour glaze over the top of the cake.