Lemon Root Vegetables
You might not have cooked with parsnips before, but they resemble pale carrots and the flavor is slightly stronger. You can substitute them for carrots in many recipes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 medium rutabagas (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium parsnips (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup filtered water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- Peel and cut vegetables into 3" julienne strips.
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until fork-tender.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2—3 minutes.
- Drain vegetables; add olive oil mixture. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until vegetables are glazed, stirring occasionally.