Lemon Tea Cookies
Enlist help from eager kids when it’s time to add the thumbprint to these lemony cookies.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened, plus 1 Tbsp.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine all dough ingredients; blend well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With thumb, make imprint in center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- In medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Cook over low heat until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool filling slightly. Spoon 1/4 tsp. filling into center of each cooled cookie; decorate as desired.