Lemon Thyme Eggplant Bowl with Cumin Lentils
This dish is loaded with earthy cumin and bright citrus flavors. The combination of these flavors elevates eggplant to a new level.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup French or black lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced into ½" pieces
- 1 large summer squash, quartered and sliced into ½" pieces
- 1 Tbsp. roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reserve.
- While eggplant cooks, bring lentils, stock, cumin, and bay leaf to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes. When lentils are softened, drain off any remaining liquid and discard the bay leaf. Reserve.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and summer squash, and season with remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until softened, 5–7 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining olive oil with the thyme, zest, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Place the lentils, eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash in a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon thyme vinaigrette.