Lemon Verbena Crumpets
Smear these lemony crumpets with lemon curd and raspberry jam for the perfect pick-me-up.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm whole milk
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 tsp. lemon verbena oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. dried lemon verbena, crushed
- In a large bowl, combine milk, sugar, and yeast. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes. Mix in egg, lemon verbena oil, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, flour, and dried verbena. Beat together 5 minutes, until a smooth dough is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and rise in a warm spot until doubled in volume, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Heat griddle over high heat. Test griddle by sprinkling on a little water. If it sizzles and evaporates, it’s ready. Lower heat to medium-low. Melt 1 tablespoon of remaining butter on the griddle. Place muffin rings on the griddle and fill them halfway with batter. Cover loosely with foil and cook until crumpets are browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Using a spatula or tongs, flip over each crumpet and ring. Cover and cook another 5 minutes. Serve warm.