Lemongrass Lemon Meringue Pie
Meringue is so fancy, and this lemon pie has the boost of lemongrass to boot.
- 1 pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3 3/4 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Bake and cool pie crust according to package instructions.
- To make the filling, place 1¼ cups sugar, eggs, lemon juice, and grated lemongrass into blender. Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour melted butter into the blender and blend for 30 seconds more.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer lemon filling to baked pie shell. Bake until filling is just set, 30-35 minutes. Allow pie to cool completely.
- When pie has cooled completely, preheat oven to 425°F
- In a small saucepan, combine water with ½ cup sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- In a stand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Stream sugar syrup into the meringue, beating to create stiff peaks. Add vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add meringue to top of pie, spreading to the edges of crust until filling is completely covered. Bake for 4-7 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned.