Lentil and Carrot Soup
Pancetta is salt-cured pork the Italian version of bacon. It is usually sold in a large rolled form and can be purchased in Italian delicatessens and some specialty supermarkets.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. pancetta, diced
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 12 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Lightly brown the pancetta for about 4 minutes. Add the onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve.