Lentil Curry Soup
Similar to a traditional Indian lentil dal recipe but with added vegetables to make it into an entrée, this lentil soup is perfect as is or perhaps paired with rice or some warmed Indian flatbread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cup yellow or green lentils
- 2¾ cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. groundblack pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- In a large soup or stock pot, sauté the onion, carrot, and cloves in margarine until onions are just turning soft, about 3 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and toast for 1 minute, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, potato, and salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until lentils are done.
- Season with black pepper and lemon juice just before serving.