Lentil and Ham Chili
No need to soak lentils overnight--they need much less time to cook than other legumes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 oz. ham, diced
- 2½ cups canned low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat the oil to shimmering over medium heat in a large saucepan Add the shallots, garlic, and ham; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, vegetable stock, chili powder, honey, and cumin. Simmer for 1 hour, then add the lentils; cook for 30 minutes longer, until lentils are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of yogurt.