Your family won’t even miss the meat in this sweet and tangy, veggie-packed twist on classic sloppy Joe’s.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup Kroger Brand Lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- In large saucepan, combine lentils and water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce to simmer; cook 18 to 20 minutes, until tender. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, combine oil and onion, bell pepper, ground mustard, salt, garlic and black pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce. Stir in cooked lentils.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns.