Lentil-and-Rice Soup with Sun-Dried tomatoes
Bright green arugula and tangy sun-dried tomatoes add a colorful and tasty twist to the classic lentil-and-rice soup. Serve with pita bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 8 oz. arugula, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in carrots, celery, tomatoes, lentils, and rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, or until rice and lentils are cooked.
- Spoon into bowls and top with arugula and sun-dried tomatoes.