Lentil and Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
This salad is savory and a little sweet – and the goat cheese finishes it with a creamy tang.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large red beets
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash beets well, and place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Fold the foil tightly, and place in a baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until beets are fork tender. Let cool slightly, and rub the skins off with paper towels. Reserve beets.
- While the beets are cooking, pour the broth into a medium saucepan and add the lentils, bay leaves, onion, and celery to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked through. Discard bay leaves, onion and celery. Rinse lentils in a colander under cold water.
- Divide the lentils between 4 bowls. Roughly chop the beets and stir them into the lentils, along with the salad greens. Top each bowl with a tablespoon of goat cheese.
- Whisk remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper together with the sherry vinegar in a small bowl. Drizzle salad dressing over the bowls.