Lentil Soup with Bacon
Studded with vegetables, this low-fat lentil soup has a light, delicious broth, enhanced by the smoky flavor of low-sodium bacon.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 slices low-sodium bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed well
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried savory
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place stockpot over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaves, and serve.