Lentil Soup with Cumin
This is the fastest bean soup you can make, ready in about an hour, without any soaking of beans. It gets better as it sits overnight, when the flavors marry, so make enough for two or more meals.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced in coins
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds, toasted in a dry pan for 1 minute, until fragrant
- 1 cup lentils
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a pot large enough to hold everything, and add the cut vegetables, garlic, and cumin, plus 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the lentils and vegetable stock. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce flame to medium-low.
- Simmer 1 hour, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.